On March 2, Read Across America Day, we celebrate reading! Throughout the day and all over the building, Horizon Springfield students recognized the importance of reading through a variety of activities. Here is just some of the exciting things that took place:
- In Ms. Brown and Mrs. Thomas’s English classes-5th and 6th grade students read for 2 whole class periods!
- In Mr. Ornek’s computer class, 1st grade created digital stories.
- Kindergarten did a reading and coloring exercise about the cat in the hat.
- 2nd grade read a scholastic news article about Dr. Suess.
- Ms. Danford’s Spanish classes read Green Eggs and Ham in Spanish
Our principal, Mrs. Schreiner, recognized all top AR readers by handing our certificates and treats to all students who have reached their AR goals. She also created a read-a-thon for top readers in 5th-8th grade. 2 students from each grade were selected to read for the afternoon. Students were treated to lunch, goodie bags and sweatshirts!